Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Rolling art ...

When I was 17 and working at my grandfather's garage as a gofer, I was tasked with washing and changing the oil for a 1957 Mercedes 300SL Roadster owned by a friend of my father's. Silver, svelte and immaculate, I was allowed to take the car out for a spin. Destination, the Mass Turnpike. Needless to say, elegant, precise and above all else, fast, very very fast were the characteristics of the best car I ever drove. During one point of the drive, I looked at the speedometer and noticed yours truly was doing a 100+ though the sensation of speed was around 70. No ticket, thank god, but the experience of driving rolling art remains as vivid today as it did many, many years ago. :)

1957 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster

1957 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster

Original cost ... The roadster was DM 32,500 in Germany, and $10,950 in the US – 10 percent more expensive than the coupe in Europe, and over 70 percent more in the US.[11]

No comments: