Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Maladies of Job

I've always had a desire to get a bulldog. One that looks like the lovable bruiser seen above as every time I have encountered one, affection, goofiness and looks designed to kill have enchanted me for years save that the wife would kill me if I got one. With that in mind, reading the sobering NY Times Can the Bulldog Be Saved? has saddened yours truly when pure bred obsession takes the bulldog's gene  pool for a ride in creating a dog cursed with the maladies of Job.


It gets better...


The most telling item however is the mutation of the breed from bull baiting monster to lovable pug as seen in a comparison of what the bulldog used to look like compared to today's.


Circa 1800's


Present Day

Any Questions?

1 comment:

Ana said...

I don't trust statistics especially the "officials" and they are the vast majority.
I wrote a post about my dog and how I found out that the processed foods are poison.
It must be taken into consideration too.
They don't pay attention in many facts because they always aim something that is beyond what they really state.