Friday, April 11, 2008

Kind of Blue Plus Significant Others

Kind of Blue, the quintessential jazz masterpiece by Miles Davis, shows just how rare perfection truly is. Elegant, understated and above all else, supremely confident, this first great group of Miles shows just how powerful improvisation can be when played at the highest level.

This kind of subtle craftsmanship shows up in unexpected places as well as seen in the Paul Newman flick, Nobody's Fool, a story about "a rascally ne'er-do-well approaching retirement age."

Sully: I can't believe it's gonna take you that long to get me out of jail.
Wirf: Don't blame me, I'm a Jew. They're not my holidays.
Sully: A Jew? Really? I didn't know that. How come you ain't smart?
Wirf: How can I start getting you out of jail when you won't go in?

An all too tiny sampler of others too good to miss.
Aja
The Good Shepherd

Bull Durham
Orwell
The Elements of Style

Three Musicians, Picasso, 1921

Etc., etc., etc.

And so it goes....Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

No comments: